Your immune system has a big task. It fights germs and keep you from succumbing to sickness and disease. Because your immune system plays such a vital role in regards to your health, you should do everything you can to keep it strong. Here are some ways you can assist your immune system to make it the best it can be.
1. Eat a variety of whole foods. Focus on foods that can be eaten straight from nature. Concentrate on fresh fruits and vegetables, and add in healthy fats, lean proteins, and whole grains as well. By eating a large variety of foods, you will benefit from the combination of vitamins and minerals that each of them provide, which work together to strengthen your immune system.
2. Learn about the specific benefits of individual foods. There are many foods that have special immune-boosting qualities. Fresh garlic is antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal. Yogurt contains probiotics, which benefit the immune system by giving you a healthy balance of gut flora.
3. Practice good hygiene. Simple steps such as washing your hands after using the bathroom and before eating can have a profound impact on your health. Your immune system will have fewer battles to fight if you focus on basic precautions such as these.
4. Get a sufficient amount of sleep every night. Your immune system works best when it has time to rest. If you do not get enough sleep, your immune system will be compromised and will be less able to fight off colds and the flu.
5. Be physically active on a daily basis. Exercise stimulates the immune system by increasing the production of macrophages, which attack bacteria. One bout of exercise brings this effect for a few hours, and regular exercise extends this time period even further.
6. Drink lots of water to help your immune system function at its best. Consuming at least 8 glasses of water per day assists your body in flushing out toxins. Your body also uses water to produce lymph, which transports white blood cells and other immune cells all over your body to fight infection and disease.
7. Avoid unnecessary chemicals and toxins. Taking in chemicals and toxins puts a stress on your immune system. Some are unavoidable, but stay away from the ones you can. These include produce with heavy pesticides, nicotine, and alcohol. Avoid chemicals you apply topically such as certain perfumes and lotions.
8. Get daily fresh air and sunlight. Sunlight is necessary to allow your body to synthesize the production of Vitamin D, which prevents susceptibility to infection. Breathing fresh air brings oxygen to every part of your body, which fights a variety of illnesses, infections and diseases.
9. Avoid sugar and all substitutes. Sugar depresses the immune system, making it more likely for you to become ill with any virus that you are exposed to. Sugar substitutes are no better, which are related to a variety of health problems. Let fresh fruit satisfy your sweet tooth.
10. Make mental health a top priority. When you are not happy, your immune system suffers. Make time for your happiness and mental wellness. Surround yourself with people who love and care for you, and avoid people and situations that add to your stress level.